Regular supplementation with digestive enzymes takes stress off the pancreas (and the entire body) by providing the enzymes required for digestion. In other words, digestive enzyme supplements may be one of the best insurance policies you can give your body so you can enjoy a long and healthy life. You will also experience a number of short-term benefits from taking digestive enzymes:
- A significant reduction in indigestion and heartburn problems resulting from too much acid in the stomach. If there are insufficient enzymes in your food, your body tries to break down your meal through overproduction of stomach acid. Using digestive enzymes drops acid production back to normal levels.
- Since complex carbohydrates are now being substantially digested before they enter the intestinal tract, you should experience relief from gas and bloating. (Note: Some people may actually notice an increase in activity for several days as their digestive systems come alive.)
- Look for improved digestion of dairy products.
- Diminished food allergies due to more complete protein digestion.
- Since the digestion of enzyme-deficient food is an extremely energy-consuming task, within a few days of enzyme supplementation you should notice an increase in energy levels.
- Relief from many of the symptoms of hiatal hernia.
- Relief from acid reflux.
- Relief from ulcers.
Digestive enzymes help digest so much of your meal during the 40–60 minutes of pre-digestion that your body requires less acid in the actual digestion phase. This means that taking digestive enzymes will help lower the levels of acid in your stomach. (Those who suffer from chronic low levels of acid need not worry.
Digestive enzyme supplements help here, too, by breaking down so much food in the predigestion phase that less acid is actually required. And over time, decreased demand results in increased reserve capability.) Second, protease will begin breaking down the protective coating of the H. pylori bacteria responsible for so many ulcers. In other words, it will actually begin to digest it. However, for those with a severe existing ulcer, the protease may begin to digest damaged stomach lining tissue because its protective coating is missing. This can cause noticeable discomfort for several days. To avoid this, start with very small amounts of the supplement with your meals and build up slowly.”