Naturopath Domenic Pisanelli outlines the six things you need to be concerned about as they relate to Diet, Water, and Supplements.February 4, 2016
Protecting Yourself Against The Flu is Paramount Today, Because It Can Strike You At Any Time During The Year . . .April 22, 2016
Anyone can substantially increase both health span and life span by adopting the following measures:
- Stop using tobacco products of all types and limit alcohol use to no more than three glasses of wine or three ounces of spirits per day.
- Reduce, or better yet eliminate, all processed foods, fast foods, and sweetened beverages. Make green leafy vegetables your primary food group. Reduce or eliminate red meat from your diet.
- Take a pill. Add the below supplements to your daily routine:
- Biotivia or other quality resveratrol, 250mg to 1,000mg Pterostilbene, a molecule closely related to resveratrol, 100mg daily.
- Non-fish sourced omega-3, such as Green Omega 3, with EPA and DHA, at least 500mg.
- A multi-antioxidant(not multivitamin) complex such as Bio Quench, 500mg to 1,000mg
- Vitamin D, 10,000 IU. Most people are deficient in this important nutrient.
- Acetyl L-Carnitine and Alpha Lipoic Acid supplements, 250 mg of each.
- Curcumin, also known as the spice turmeric, 1 to 2 grams per day.
- Vitamin C, preferably the oil soluble form called ascorbyl palmitate, 1 gram per day.
There are, of course, many other supplements that may have a beneficial impact on health span and longevity, but the published scientific evidence best supports the above nutrients. The majority of over-the counter supplements are of very little chemoprotective value. In addition to the above supplement regime, incorporate the following into your daily routine:
- Incorporate at least 30 minutes of moderate to intense exercise, at least three times each week, into your routine. Get up from your computer, video games, iPad, email, and Facebook accounts and do something physical, preferably outdoors. In fact, it is healthier to be fit and fat then unfit and thin.
- Meditate, or at least take a one-hour mental and physical break from your daily grind, once each day. Midday naps of 20 to 45 minutes are also extremely beneficial.
- Maintain a healthy weight, which is best measured by dividing your height in inches by your waist circumference. The result should be no less than 2.0. The popular BMI measurement is basically worthless, as it makes no distinction between lean and fat body mass.
- Use high quality air and water purifiers in your home and office. Lobby your political leaders to take environmental protection and clean energy seriously. At some point the limit on life span will be the determined by the ability of the Earth’s climate and resources to support human life.
- See your physician at least once per year and repair failing parts just as you do with your automobile or any other complex machine. If your eyesight is deteriorating, consider having a corrective procedure by an eye surgeon, If you have dental or periodontal issues, see your dentist and get them sorted before they lead to serious disease. Teeth and gum infections can cause fatal heart disease and other life threatening conditions.
- Do not ignore symptoms of an underlying problem. Your chances of surviving cancer, as we all know, are dramatically enhanced if you begin treatment early. The same rule applies to diabetes and most other chronic diseases.
- Drive sensibly, wear seat belts and control your stress. It would be a pity to live a healthy life and then die at the age of 40 on the motorway.
- Use an advanced UV protection product to control photo aging of the skin. Resveratrol has been shown to both prevent and reverse the DNA damage, which ages the skin. One cream that contains resveratrol in high concentration along with other polyphenols is Celle by Biotivia.