Food intolerances, along with true food allergies and malabsorption, are on the rise around the world.
But what are they exactly?
With malabsorption, certain intestinal cells are simply unable to help you absorb your food. Whereas ‘true’ food allergies are immune reactions to food proteins. Your body’s immune system basically launches an inappropriate and severe attack on normal food substances and treats them as invaders.
A reaction to an allergic food is immediate in onset and can be life threatening.
This is known as an IgE, Immunoglobulin (type E), immune response.
Quick Definition: Immunoglobulins are a class of proteins made by the body, which function as antibodies produced by the immune system in response to foreign bodies such as food antigens.
Food intolerances (or sensitivities) on the other hand, are more subtle in their presentation, often occurring hours to days after exposure to food antigens.
Symptoms of a food sensitivity tend to be cumulative.
IgG, an Immunoglobulin (type G), often mediates a food sensitivity response.
Food sensitivities can also be pharmacological reactions (like side effects of a drug) to certain foods when they are eaten.
Factors such as enzyme deficiency, histamine releasing effects, and altered intestinal permeability (“leaky gut”) can all contribute to development of a food intolerance.
Though not usually life threatening, the effects of a food intolerance are still ‘hard to stomach’. Adverse reactions to food may initiate a myriad of effects on your body.
And just in case you are blissfully free of food sensitivities, a common list of symptoms may include: bloating, abdominal distention, pain, nausea, flatulence, diarrhoea, constipation, rashes, mood disturbances, fatigue, headaches, fluid retention, urticaria, weightimbalance, and sinusitis (to name a few).
So, if you have unexplained symptoms such as these, how do you know if a sneaky food intolerance is to blame? Identifying troublesome foods can be made much easier with the help of Computerised Electro Dermal Testing.
What Else Can I Do?
Food Allergy Testing (Orion testing)
ORION TESTING – Frequently Asked Questions
What is Orion testing?
Orion testing is a fast, safe, painless, and most importantly, accurate way of gathering information about your body. At Vital Health and Natural Medicine, we have used Orion testing extensively for 18 years and have found it to be a highly valuable tool for helping patients to understand the underlying causes of their health issues and achieve lasting improvements in their health.
Orion testing is also called Electro Acupuncture, according to Voll or EAV testing. It uses the acupuncture points in the hands as access points to your body’s sensitive electromagnetic system. From there, the machine measures electromagnetic fluctuations in your body in response to testing various elements. Clinically relevant information can be attained from those measurements.
As well as conventional blood work, medical history and physical examination to assess my patients, along with other functional tests, Orion testing is one more tool in the quest to understand the keys to unlocking your health potential.
What types of tests are done with the Orion Machine?
At Vital Health and Natural Medicine I can perform the following tests:
1) Food allergy testing: we test common foods to see which ones may be disturbing your body and which ones are not. Patients consistently see clinical improvements when they eliminate or limit the foods that the Orion test identifies. I will coach you on what you CAN eat so that you can easily transition to the diet that is right for YOU.
2) Organ Screen – I assess different body parts on a three point scale: healthy, stressed, very stressed. The organ screen assesses organs such as the stomach, kidneys, lungs etc and other body parts like spinal segments, lymph nodes, eyes, diaphragm, adrenals and more. It is not a diagnostic test. I use the results of this screen as clues to be investigated. Most times, patients report that the body parts that are flagged as stressed are the areas they are having trouble with. If new areas show up, it may give you and your doctor insight into your symptoms, or you both may decide to “watch and wait”.
3) Intestinal Flora Imbalance: One of the keys to the healthy functioning of the body is the presence of adequate good bacteria in the lining of the intestine. If the good bacteria are not present then yeast (Candida albicans), fungus and other opportunistic organisms will colonize the intestine, creating problems. This test assesses the balance of intestinal flora and reports the degree of Candida yeast present on a scale from 0-10. Zero indicates a healthy balance of flora. Ten indicates a lack of good bacteria and an overgrowth of Candida and possibly other opportunistic organisms. If necessary, an intestinal cleansing program to re-establish the healthy bacterial flora may be needed.
The advantages of Orion food allergy testing:
What should I do to prepare for the test?
Water: Drink lots of water. Water assists the conductivity of the electromagnetic system. Your test will run more smoothly if you are very well hydrated. Please ensure that you drink abundant fluids the day before and the day of testing.
Food: Just eat what you normally eat. If you are avoiding a certain food and have done so for a long time, then that food will not likely show up on the Orion food allergy testing. It is difficult for any test, including blood tests, to identify food allergies in foods you are not eating.
Medications: If you are taking anti-histamines or oral steroids, these medications may mask results.
Fatigue: Extreme fatigue or extreme stress can affect the testing. Try to ensure that you arrive at the test as well rested as possible.
What should I expect during the test?
1) You will be seated in a chair at a desk. You will be asked to hold a metal rod that is connected to the machine via a wire.
2) The test will be conducted by myself an Orion technician:
Domenic Pisanelli – CEDS technician with 18 years of experience
3) A probe will be gently applied to your hand. It doesn’t hurt.
4) You will receive a copy of your results immediately after your testing.
Heal Your Gut Wall with Functional Foods:
Under normal circumstances, the lining of the small intestine is nearly leak proof and only fully digested food molecules are allowed to pass through. The epithelial cells that line the intestine are joined by tight junctions. If stresses on these delicate structures are severe, the formerly tight junctions may start to detach.
The resulting gaps make your gut “leaky” and large undigested food molecules may pass through into the bloodstream and lymph vessels of the intestine.
Protect Your Gut with Probiotics:
Not all probiotics are created equally.
Digest Better with Digestive Enzymes:
Proteases (enzymes that help you digest protein) especially may play a significant role in preventing food reactions. In order for an absorbed molecule to produce a response, it must be of a relatively large size, and proteases help you break down your food protein molecules better. Clinical studies dating back as far as the 30s and 40s have found pancreatic enzymes to be effective in the prevention of food intolerance.
Here at Vital Health and Natural Medicine, we offer complete and comprehensive pin –prick blood tests if you don’t want to to do a Computerised Electro dermal screen. Both will identify multiple food allergies, sensitivities and intolerances, but one uses electro- puncture whilst the other uses blood.
Would you like to find out more?
There are 3 ways you can respond. . .